11 Natural pain relief for back pain
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Back pain a common ailment
Back pain is a common ailment that can be debilitating and affect one’s quality of life. While medication is often used to manage back pain, many people prefer to use natural remedies as a safer and healthier option. Natural pain relief for back pain includes a variety of methods. By exploring natural pain relief options, individuals can take control of their back pain and improve their overall well-being.
11 Natural pain relief for back pain
Stretching and strengthening exercises such as yoga poses (Downward-Facing Dog and Cat-Cow) and core-strengthening exercises (plank and bird dog) can help alleviate back pain.
Heat and Cold therapy:
- Applying heat or cold to the affected area can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Heat therapy options include using a heating pad, hot water bottle, or taking a warm bath.
- Cold therapy options include using an ice pack or a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel.
- Practicing mindfulness meditation can help reduce stress and tension in the body, which can contribute to back pain.
- Massaging the affected area can help relax tense muscles and reduce pain.
- Tools such as a foam roller, tennis ball, or massage stick can be used to apply pressure to the affected area.
Traditional Chinese medicine technique that involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to relieve pain. Must be a licensed Acupuncturist.
A chiropractor can use manual adjustments to align the spine and alleviate pain.
Can also provide exercises and stretches for at-home maintenance.
Certain yoga poses such as the child’s pose, the seated twist, and the standing forward bend can help stretch and strengthen the back muscles, reducing pain.
A gentle martial art that involves slow, flowing movements and deep breathing. It can improve posture and reduce pain.
Some supplements like willow bark and turmeric may help reduce inflammation and pain. Consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements.
Creams containing capsaicin or menthol can help alleviate pain when applied to the affected area. They can be found at most drug stores or online.
Peppermint, eucalyptus, and ginger oils can reduce pain and inflammation when applied topically or used in aromatherapy.
11 non-natural pain relief for back pain
- Over-the-counter pain medication: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen can help alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
- Prescription pain medication: Stronger pain medication such as tramadol and oxycodone may be prescribed by a doctor for severe or chronic back pain.
- Steroid injections: Steroid injections can help reduce inflammation and pain in the affected area. They can be given directly into the spine or into the surrounding soft tissue.
- Nerve blocks: A nerve block is an injection of anesthetic around a specific nerve to block pain signals. This can be used to target specific areas of the back.
- Chiropractic adjustments: A chiropractor can use manual adjustments to align the spine and alleviate pain.
- Acupuncture: This traditional Chinese medicine technique involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to relieve pain.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): TENS uses electrical impulses to stimulate the nerves and reduce pain.
- Radiofrequency ablation: This procedure uses radio waves to heat up and destroy nerve tissue, which can help reduce pain.
- Injections of hyaluronic acid: This is a gel-like substance that is injected into the affected which helps provide cushioning and lubrication to the joints.
- Spinal cord stimulation: This procedure involves implanting a device that sends electrical impulses to the spinal cord to reduce pain.
- Spinal fusion: Spinal fusion is a surgical procedure that joins two or more vertebrae together to reduce pain caused by movement in the affected area.
Note: It’s always best to consult with a doctor or physical therapist before starting any new exercise or treatment program. Some methods may not be appropriate for certain individuals or conditions, and some of the above treatments may require a surgery and have some risks associated with it.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.